The Artists new Doll

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Artists new Doll

Post by MinekaC on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:58 pm

Soooooooooo...................... who else likes the artists new 58cm tall BJD?
I don't remember if I noted it in the news update, but her name is Seraphyn. I don't particurly like it, it sounds to common to me. But when I asked her, that was the name this instantly popped into my head, and I don't even know HOW it got in there either!
She's adorable, and very sweet, but she's a bit odd at times. There are moments when I look at her and I almost swear I see her lips twitching, as if she's trying to smile. It's cool, but slightly creepy. I love my doll, and I love all my readers who supported me on my temporary insanity to buy her. Thank you, you've made me very happy. Now I will be a good artist and mentally kick myself into getting back to work so there aren't any missing updates from now till the end of the comic.

View user profile http://ditloac.comicgenesis.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The Artists new Doll

Post by Hapless on Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:00 am

Well, can we see a picture of her?
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:13 am

Oh, I linked pics to her in the news section, but I'll repost them here cause I love spamming pics of her. Her face-up really needs to be redone, but after five hours of painting and my back hurting, I wasn't bout to redo it at the moment.

I'm also still working on making her wig. Because of the process I'm doing, it's taking awhile. If I had done standard wefts I likely could be done with it by now, but I want a wig that'll be as versatile as normal human hair, so it's taking some time. But I'll definitly be posting pics when I finish with it. Now I promised to be good and work on DitLoaC today. Least till three, and then I'm allowing myself to work on clothes for her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:15 am

Actualy I'd say a light drybrushing across the nose, and ears to pick out details, and maybe across the cheek bone area to add some depth to skin tone should be good. Then again I'm used to painting things on a much smaller scale so I don't know if the techniques transfer as well.
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:18 am

She actually has some subtle blushing around the nose and along the cheek bones, but it doesn't convey well. Mainly what I want to redo is her eyebrows, I want to make the hairs more defined, and her lower lashes, I want to make them longer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:18 pm

I think they look great. But then again I'm not much of a doll guy. *hides the Chimeara statue* I mean what one person things is great, another thinks is below average, or worse. They say that an artist is never happy with their work.
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Well, I am occassionally happy with my work, but that's certain pics. I'm rarely happy with how my guys come out, since I don't draw men that much..... kinda a prude, and it makes drawing the other genders anatomy rather akward even when it's all covered. Hence why my girls tend to have more detail and an easier more balanced look bout them.
But if you take a look at
.http://www.bgdolls.com.cn/homepage/index.htm
or
http://www.angell-studio.com

You'll see what I mean by me having a long ways to go till I have a decent face up for her. Though I like hoe her lips came out, not nearly as smooshed as they are on the main site, but her eyebrows and eyeshadow needs work, she's to plain as it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:36 am

I would not spend too much time looking at those sites! Yikes! That would do to your self-esteem in getting her ready what going to cool mini or not does to mine!
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by brigid on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:04 pm

She seems to have a mischievous quality to her right now. Can't wait to find out what she looks like when you're all finished!

brigid

View user profile http://mqc-comic.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:36 pm

I agree with you their they are quite the set of blues. She does though look like she's going to pull some fey style prank on me when my back is turned though.
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:29 pm

More pic spamming!
I redid her face up. I have since removed her lower lashes, since I didn't like them. I'm not that unhappy with her lack OF lower lashes at this point, it seems to work. Go figure.
But I made a bunch of stuff for her, and my latest kick is knitting, so I got a new set of needles (my first double pointeds!) and have since made the following.

Here she is eyeing the hat my sister crocheted for her. My sister is in CA, so wasn't sure what size she was making. I said 9inch circumfrance. Apparently she heard 9inch diameter. Oops.

Sera: What's this?
Me: A hat.
Sera: Are you sure?
Me: Yes. My sister made it for you. Try it on, let's see how it looks.
Sera: It looks kinda big..........
Me: *rolls eyes* We're not going to be sure until you try it on, now are we?
Sera: Okay. *puts hat on*

Sera: AHH! WHO TURNED OUT THE LIGHTs?! I'M BLIND!
Me:.... very funny. Okay, the hat IS to big.

Sera: Yo dawg! Wassup me homies?!
At which point my "ghetto speak" ends. Cute hat I knitted for the other day. My first non-scarf knitting project. I'm so proud of me >_<

Similar outfit to one I have. Cept mine is in white, with belled sleeves. And my jeans are always lighter. Nice shot of the disaster that is part of my computer desk. I'm such a neat freak, aye? <-- note sarcasim.

Here's also a bunch of shots of her in her Hinoto cosplay. She wore this to Otakon with me.
Costume it's based off of.

Okay, you guys are free now >_<

I'm actually thinking that when I finish the current DitLoaC story arc, and before I start the next, I'll do a short photostory with Sera to give me some time to make a buffer for the second story.
I'm not entirely sure which story I'm picking yet, but the art style is going to be different. I'm not sure if it's going to go a touch more american, or if it's going to go more cartoony. But I'm babbling, I'll shut up now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:32 pm

After looking at your pictures, I have to say, Sera is very, very pretty ! Please post more pictures of her with her different outfits.
Sometime in the near future, I will be getting my first BJD, a BJD Anime Girl, probably a Dollfie Dream or an Obitsu 60.

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Welcome to the forums Carousel!
My next doll is likely to either be a boy to keep Sera company. I'm thinking Doll's Family 72cm elf, who'd I'd mod and dye to look like Antonio Bandares (not my type. But we were watching Desperado, and Sera thinks he's cute) or a 42cm Bobobie doll.
I dunno.
Obitsu's are awesome in their flexability, I just wish there were more facial options for them. I don't like the head all that much, just my personal preference. The dollfie Dream body is awesome as well, my aquintance Margarita has one of those, and she uses it as a default body for heads until she gets a new body for them. So I wouldn't really recommend them.
If you're looking for an inexpensive 60cm doll, I'd check out bobobie, Angel of Dream, Doll's Family (I'll get you a link to that if you'd like). I feel as if there's one more, but those are what comes to mind now.
Sera is a B&G, so she came to 400$, but if memory serves, the obitsu and DD bodies are around 200-250ish. AoD 60s are around 300, Bobobie is under 200, and Dolls Family is I THINK 200ish.
Bobobie's have a tendency to be strung to tight, or to loose, not sure which. But I'd definitly look into them, since they get good reviews for the most part, and because they're strung (I'm not sure how the obitsu's are put together, whether they're strung or jointed) when they start to get loose/not hold their poses, you can always tighten their strings and suede them to fix it.
Sorry, I'm babbling. I shall definitly keep people appraised of my dollie-ness, and if you do get yer doll you must post pictures as well, I'd love to see her/him!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:30 pm

Dear MineKac----I would value your opinion about BJD's, since I am looking to get my first one. In your opinion, what BJD looks most like an Anime Girl, and has the biggest round eyes, not oval shaped ? The Dollfie Dream 1 and 2 ? The Obitsu 60 ? Or can you recommend another ? Please let me know by posting to this thread. Thanx !

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:47 pm

That's a toughie. It's really all in the eyes of the beholder.
My favourite has always been Soo from Luts(eluts.com she'd be on the second page under delfs, which I think is third down on the side menu) , but she's around 600$
Seraphyn, is similar, but still very different.
I never really warmed up to th Obitsu mould, although some of the Dollfie Dream heads are nice. Those two are also be best for possibility, but if memory serves they're not actually BJDs, since they work by a series of joints, swivels, and screws. BJDs, are usually strung with elastic. The most poseable of those kind, I believe are the Unoa's.
The Dream of Doll dolls are also rather possible, as is the newest male body by Luts.

I really can't in good faith direct you towards a mould that IS an anime character, because translating 2D to 3D is tricky, and sometimes it can come out looking great, sometimes not.
If you want a pile of doll links I can give you that. Check out junkyspot.com and the denver Doll Emporium (ESPECIALLY the Angell Studio dolls. ZOMG Gabriel is SO CUTE! But that's just my opinion)
If you're looking for inexpensive and nice I'd personally go with Volks, just because. If you're looking for cheap, AND keeping it a BJD, I'd go with a Bobobie body, and get a head to match the skin tone. I don't really care for the Bobobie moulds, but they're really inepensive. Also if you're not dead set on the 60cm range, take a look at the 45s, they're usually a hundred dollars cheaper, and they always seem to have a more "cutesy" animeisq look to them then the 60s. I can't even count the number of MSDs I encountered that I thought where adorable and was kicking the table because they were to small.

Anyway, I know that's very unhelpful to you, it's just , well, I have a scwed opinion when it comes to looks, so I'd feel bad directing you towards something you'd potentially loathe, and isn't at all what you had in mind.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Thank you for your advice, Minekac, it gives me a starting point of what to look for in the BJD world.
Actually, I am in the process of obtaining an Obitsu 60 Gretel from the Den of Angels Marketplace Forum. She is not exactly the Anime Girl that I was looking for, but I got her for a real bargin basement price, and I think that she will be a good first BJD Anime Girl. The Obitsu 60 is strung like the Volks dolls, but is cast in vynal instead of resin. That is why they are priced a bit lower than resin dolls. At least she has the Big Eyes !!!

After reading a thread on this subject on Den of Angels, I want to try something different with my first BJD. I have this weird feeling that when I first meet her, although she is not " showing ", she is going to tell me that she is pregnant. That means that she will eventually have to be dressed in maternity clothes. That is O.K., she just needs some understanding and a little TLC.

Last edited by Carousel on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : misspell)

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:31 am

O_O
Good luck with that. I want to get my second BJD, if for no other reason so that Sera will stop looking at me with a "why don't you play with me?" expression. I love her, but man she's as much maintance as a pet!
I want to get the 70cm elf that Doll's Family (I think that's the name) has. However I want to mod his ears to human, and de-point his nose, and maybe open up his eyes a bit more..... essentially I love his square jawline, but nothing else. >_< Why don't they make more 1/3 boys with square jaws?!
I'm trying to find a doll that looks like Antonio Banderas, but so far coming up empty, the problem is, Dolls Family doesn't sell tan dolls, white mostly, so if I sand him the texture of his skin is going to be uneven, which means it'll take the dye unevenly, and he'll look dreadful. *sighs*
I'm babbling. I'm wondering if it'd work if I lightly sanded him all over. But it'd be hard to determine if I manadaged to do that or not. Maybe just the head, which is what's going to be modded, and then dye the body longer/shorter to match? Have to think bout it. Don't want to ruin a 200-300 dollar doll in one foul swoop.
I'll shut up now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:47 am

Just a thought but what are these dolls painted with? Enamal or Acrylic paints? If the answer is Acrylic I might have a paint removeal solution for you, from one of my hobbies. *cough cough*

Either DOT-3 break fluid, or simple green cleaning solution (none diluted) will take the paint right off without warping plastics. Just a thought though.
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:55 am

Well for me, I coat her with a layer of Testors dullcote or Mr. Superclear to keep the resin from staining from the paints. Then all the coloured details are a combination of:
Chalk pastels
water based acrylics
Water colour pencils.
Then she gets another coat of sealant, and then sculpy gloss applied where need be (I love the uber shiney lip look)
I use nail polish remover to wipe stuff off when necessary. Cheap, easy to get hold of, and already tested not to damage the resin so long as it doesn't sit on it long and you give it a good scrub down with dish detergent when yer done.
The dolls are so expensive, and susceptable to bad things happening, I wouldn't be tempted to try anything new with her unless it's been vetted by many other doll owners first. Even then, I've already tested out this method a few times on her, so I'm not planning on deviating from it any time soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Well considering your mixed media approach I don't know of DOT-3 or Simple Green would work. Like I said I've only used this to take of just paint not water color pencil, or chalk pastels. But I do know that it will strip the paint down the the plastic, and even take off the primer.

Consider though that I spent $55 for my...er... item to be painted. I realy should get it finished and posted up here.
Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cent Comm NTCS on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:29 pm

( off subject ) HI sera! ...
( hopes sera gets her own story shes too darn cute and sassy not too.. )
Cent Comm NTCS

View user profile http://datachasers.comicgenesis.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top