Suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Suggestions

Post by MinekaC on Sun May 18, 2008 2:36 pm

I love suggestions. Be it related to any aspect of DitLoaC from the site design, to new sections on the forum, to STOP WITH SPAMMING THE STUPID DONATION THINGIE! >_< I DO hate imposing on my readers, and I sincerely apologize for that. *sighs*
But if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

MinekaC

View user profile http://ditloac.comicgenesis.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Suggestions

Post by Hapless on Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 pm

Mineka, Mineka, *shakes head* you are not imposing on your readers. Think of it like this. you have put out a free collection of comics that people are coming to read. Now, you have put a jar on the counter and in sharpie written upon your jar "Tips". You aren't charging for admittance, just asking for a small donation to the "feed the artist" fund, and you aren't even vocally asking you just put a button up for slipping you a few bucks. It's a natural thing. Most web comics have a jar for people to put a few bucks in, as a way of saying thanks. It's no big deal.

I seem to remember even suggesting that you could put up one of those in an e-mail I wrote you. Now you stop apologizing or I'll really make you feel bad by mailing you a cheese hat and a Packers jersey. And don't think I won't try it.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Mon May 26, 2008 9:37 pm

I just feel bad is all. Whenever I see one of those donation buttons up on my favourite comics, but I'm skint and can't donate, I feel bad. Which is why I didn't want to put up a donation button on my comic for the longest time.
In fact I'm about twenty dollars or so away from buying my doll (I haven't updates the donation box because I want to be sure the person doesn't want their money back) and when I do have enough, I'll be removing the chibi-mineka from the banner....... and likely have to re organize everything cause I'll have that big chunk of empty space.
Essentially: I hate asking people for money, even having the ability for people to donate, to my twisted mind is like asking for donations.
I don't really like having the PW ads at the bottom either, but the revenue I get from those I turn around and spend it on getting DitLoaC some more exposure. I'm just not "out there" enough to get DitLoaC the showing I think it deserves. It's mostly relied on by word of mouth and people clicking on my various forum signatures.

Righto...... so yea, the donations will go down in a bit, by the end of June at the latest.
*laughs* You can't threaten me with cheese hats! I used to go to school in the town that created Velveeta cheese! We had/have a cheese festival every year. Your cheese hat threats do not scare me!

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Tue May 27, 2008 5:44 am

So you feel like your begging, but what about a store? Does that induce any feeling of guilt?

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Tue May 27, 2008 9:42 am

Yes, I do feel like I'm begging with the donation button. But the store is a different matter. Because someone gets something concrete that they can enjoy for their money.
Where as the incentive stuff for donations are simply pictures, the stuff in the store is fun "interactive" stuff.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Tue May 27, 2008 11:47 am

Pardon me, but, I almost find this perversely funny. So you won't take a tip, but you will take the profits from a t-shirt.

Alright, you win. Though don't forget to put some guy's clothes in the store for your male readers.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Tue May 27, 2008 6:17 pm

Profits? WHAT profits?
The money in the store is strictly production costs. For the most part, everything in there is just rounded up to the next dollar. So for any sweatshirts ordered, I get 38 cents or so. Really not alot.
Trust me, if I had the option, I would NOT be charging thirty (or is it twenty?) dollars for a sweat shirt, I think that's ridiculous.

I am working on some guy-reader clothing. I'm taking a readers suggestion, and I'm thinking of a T shirt that says "Don't you wish your boyfriend was hot like me?" on the front, with a cool shot of Ryoten on the back. But I'm still working on it. I'm supposed to be working on another story line. Not to mention when I get my doll, I'm thinking she'll also have her own comic. I'm stretching myself to thin. Tis bad..... I'm babbling.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Tue May 27, 2008 10:03 pm

*tisk tisk* Babbling isn't bad, it's thinking out loud and venting some of your frustrations as an artist. As for stretching yourself thin, maybe. After all your only human. Maybe you should get some friendly help on some things. That way you can have some pressure taken from.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Thu May 29, 2008 11:47 am

What help could I get? No one knows the story like I do, so I prefer to storyboard. I definitly have to draw it, and after a disasterous experience years ago I don't trust anyone else to ink it.
The only thing I could delegate would be the screen toning, and even that I still should do, since putting in the back drops is sometimes touch and go, so might as well do the rest of the toning whilest I'm at it. *shrugs* There's just alot of stuff, and I don't trust anyone else to do it. Which leaves me trapped.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Oh? But what about
  • website work
  • Banners
  • assistant Product development (for the store)
  • Forum Moderation (er when there are more regular posters!)

In other words there are lost of day to day tasks that could be taken off your plate and given to trusted friends who could do these side tasks that don't deal directly with the comic, but yet are related. These could be given to others to keep things easier on you.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Thu May 29, 2008 3:20 pm

True. But that again means I'd have to find someone I trust, who doesn't mind doing stuff like that.
Website work doesn't really count either. As most of the site is really simple coding, that doesn't take more then 20 minutes. It's only during over hauls that I need to donate a day to it, and that's mostly cause I have to alter map cordinates for the new links. In the end, it's still mostly art work, and I'd want to organize the site myself.
Banners? Again I would think that would fall under art.
Store? I always take suggestions for new products...... but I'm still the one who has to draw/colour the work that goes on the pieces.
I would be happy to leave forum moderation to others. But since there's no one here.... I'm not that concerned about it. Besides, forum moderation isn't that tough, from what I can tell.

In the end, most of the stuff is a labour of love. So whilest having more work stretches me beyond my limit, it's not like I hate it. I just haven't got the time to do everything I need to.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Well then if it is labor you should be getting payed correct. Even if it is a labor of love it sounds like work, and there is allways a reward to be reaped from work.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Thu May 29, 2008 10:54 pm

My reward is others enjoyment in my work. There is nothing that makes me happier then hearing/reading peoples comments about the comic.
I have no foolish aspirations assuming that my comic will make me enough to ever support me. But I enjoy the telling of the stories to an auidence that enjoys reading about them.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Fri May 30, 2008 5:55 am

Well, can't say I didn't try.
It is a good thing you can see the intangible rewards in life. They are just as important as the monetary ones.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Fri May 30, 2008 9:39 am

*shrugs* I just love telling stories. Sadly, one can't simply tell stories to anyone save their friends (who feel that they HAVE to listen heh) so a comic is the next best thing. Since reading isn't nearly as much fun as having pretty pictures..... okay, just pictures, along with it. After all Gastons phrase of "How can you read this? There's no pictures!" is true for alot of folks, especially when it comes to time spent on the net.
*Shrugs* I have my two novels, and I honestly can't picture any of my comic ideas as anything but comics. So, yea it's a pain in the ass, but I just like knowing people enjoy the reading. It completes what I've always wanted: To get to people I don't know........... that sounded rather creepy..... it wasn't meant to!

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Fri May 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Not at all creepy when your talking about spreading a message. A message exists to be shared, and a message like a book, or a comic, exists to be shared with a large audience. It's an idea that lives to be shared with many, and passed from person to person.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MinekaC on Fri May 30, 2008 11:01 pm

*nods nods* To bad my message is more "I thought this was an interesting/amusing story. I want to tell it to you to!" as opposed to "Four score and seven years ago, our forefathers stood on this earth and brought forth a new nation....."
Oh well. *grins* At least the only people who rely on me are my characters, and they're not going to complain to much if I flub it up.

MinekaC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless on Sat May 31, 2008 5:26 am

No and I doubt your audience will either because you also are relying on you to tell the story you want to tell.

Hapless

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top